Damage Assessment/Light Search & Rescue Team
Before the Disaster
After the Disaster
- Take the Community Emergency Response Training (CERT) class in Search & Rescue.
- Share information from CERT Search & Rescue class with your group at a meeting.
- Walk possible evacuation routes and make maps.
- Locate resources: ladders, etc.
- Walk around the neighborhood and familiarize yourself with homes, possible problems, and hazards.
- Know your neighbors and those who may need help.
- Assess the situation.
- Identify problems and develop teams to solve problems.
- If someone is trapped and you can rescue them safely, do so.
- Identify unsafe buildings, evacuate people, and tag the outside of the building as unsafe to occupy.
- Continue to reassess the situation as aftershocks change or worsen conditions.
- Help set up alternate shelters, latrines, or sanitation systems and help with community needs.
- Clear the road for emergency vehicles, remove fallen trees and debris.
- Plan neighborhood security measures.
Recommended CERT classes
Basic Personal Preparedness, Disaster First Aid, Light Search & Rescue, Fire Suppression
Return to Teams