First Aid Team
Before the Disaster
After the Disaster
- Take the Community Emergency Response Training (CERT) Disaster First Aid class.
- Identify and maintain a listing of residents who have medical skills and/or medical needs.
- Collect various medical appliances such as crutches, slings, etc. in a community kit.
- Urge neighbors to have a good first-aid kit.
- Have a meeting and present some of the skills you learned in the CERT class.
- Go to the designated assembly point and form teams to provide first aid to those needing assistance.
- If injured people are not safe at home, decide where they can be moved and, if possible, move them.
- Tag everyone you assist and keep records of what was wrong, what you did, any change in condition, and any medication administered. If the person is sent to a First Aid station or Casualty Collection Point, be sure a record accompanies the patient.
- Provide encouragement and support to those traumatized by the event.
- Establish safe sanitary conditions, such as latrines or port-a-potty placement, maintenance, and use.
Recommended CERT classes
Basic Personal Preparedness, Disaster First Aid, Disaster Mental Health
Training recommendations by Steve Donelan
City of Berkeley Manuals
Return to Teams